It’s Day 13 of All Things Pumpkin. Yesterday we featured Pumpkin & Potato Gratins. A perfect Thanksgiving side dish.
Today, we are featuring Magda Pecsenye’s delicious Pumpkin Spice Latte Cake. Because you can never have too many PSL treats.
- 1 cup cooked pumpkin puree (about half a 15-ounce can)
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 4 teaspoons instant espresso powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup canola or coconut oil
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup half and half or whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together pumpkin puree, 1 cup sugar, pumpkin pie spice, 2 teaspoons espresso powder, salt, and cider vinegar. Stir in flour and baking soda, then oil.
- Spread as evenly as possible into a 9 by 13 pan, put the pan on a baking sheet that's bigger than the pan, and put in the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- While the cake layer is baking, cream together with an electric mixer the cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons espresso powder, and cornstarch. Mix in the egg. Mix in the half and half.
- When the cake has baked for 10 minutes, pull out the rack and the cake on the sheet carefully so you can pour the cream cheese mixture on top of the cake and spread it gently to cover the whole top, then scoot the cake, baking sheet, and rack back in place and close the oven door.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then turn off the oven and let sit in the warm oven for 20 more minutes. Remove from oven to cool, and see how long you can wait before you can dig in.
- To make this cake vegan, omit the cheesecake layer and instead mix up 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 teaspoons espresso powder, and 1/2 cup canola or coconut oil into a crumble and sprinkle on top before you bake it. Bake the entire cake for 30 minutes.